Making sure to winterize your home can help keep you safe and cozy this winter season.
The drop in temperature and wintery weather mixes of snow and ice can cause potential damage to a home if not properly prepared. Here are some home tips to make sure your home remains warm and secure.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace be sure to have it inspected before use. Be sure to clean your chimney and store firewood appropriately.
- If you have outdoor patio furniture be sure to cover it or bring it in for storage to prevent damage.
- Check the trees around your home. This one might seem odd but it’s important to check that trees surrounding your home are healthy and not at risk of falling and potentially causing damage.
- Clean out your gutters. Leaves and water buildup can cause drainage issues. It can be especially hard trying to clean them when ice starts to build up.
- Paint, caulk and seal exterior wood. Not only will this help with insulation and keeping you warm all winter long but it can also help give the outside of your home a nice facelift.
- Drain the pool and sprinkler system and any outside faucets. Ice expands and can potentially cause pipes and drains to leak or burst.
- Clear any leaves, branches, or other debris away from your outdoor appliances such as HVAC units, gas meters, and make sure to secure any outside cables.
- Shovel and treat any pathways with de-icing products to prevent slipping hazards.
- Make sure that your outdoor lights are functioning properly, it gets dark earlier in the day. No one wants to fumble with their keys in the cold.